March 4, 2011

Taking pictures of little men

I have read a few blogs about how to take pictures of your minis. I have always read about getting a light tent, and putting your camera on macro, and then magic should happen. I guess about a year ago I bought a small light tent on ebay. It came with a foldup light tent, and two small lights, and only cost me about $15. Pretty sweet.
Here it is in all its glory. (by the way, you can always click on the pictures to make them bigger). This works great, and yet again, was super cheap. The tent and the lights all fold up in a small package. Perfect to quickly take it out, take some pics, and put it up before the wife ever knew I did it on the dinner table. (sorry hun).

My only problem is I dont seem to take great pics, even with the tent and a nice camera. I have a Canon G11 camera. Me and my wife love this camera. It takes wonderful pictures outside and at events. Only problem is, we arent very good photographers. Meaning, we dont really know how to change setting for certain situations. Anyways, where was I, oh yes, taking pictures of little men (creepy).


Here are some pics taken with the light tent and the camera:

Games Workshop Warrior Priest.

















The above pictures are of a mighty Warrior Priest of Sigmar! All hail Sigmar in all his glory. These pictures were taken with the little side lights off. The only light was the ceiling light above the table. Next will be some pictures of the same model, but with the side light on.














Here are the same pictures as above, but with the lights on. Which is better? Which makes the colors more realistic and really shows the model in a better light (ha!) Please leave a comment below and give me your opinion so I will know how to take pics from here on.

Here are some pictures of Grim Angus from Privateer Press. He is a Trollblood warlock. Yet again, there are pictures of him without the lights, and then with.
 
  














Yet again, please let me know your opinions on the lighting. Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. Go for the pictures with light on, try to create good enough conditions so that you wont activate the camera flash.

    From on top of my head I can't come up with any freebe photo editing software but it has to exist. I guess you need to google around a bit. I mean, you don't need anything sophisticated - just something to fix the balance of colors and such - very basic stuff.

    Love the title picture of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks. One of my favorite all time war paintings. I was in Edinburgh, Scotland a few years ago in Edinburgh castle, and behold, the original painting was on the wall. And it is HUGE! A massive painting, bigger than a man. And it was absolutely amazing, the details were incredible. The painting is titled "Closing The Gates At Hougoumont." Here is a description of it:

    "An attack by elements of the 1st Brigade of the 6th Division attacked the north side was more successful. This attack lead to one of the most famous skirmishes in the Battle of Waterloo — Sous-Lieutenant Legros, wielding an axe, managed to break through the north gate. A desperate fight ensued between the invading French soldiers and the deefending Guards. In a near-miraculus attack, Macdonell and a small party of officers fought through the melee to shut the gate, trapping Legros and about 30 other soldiers of the 1st Legere inside. All of the French who entered, apart from a young drummer boy, were killed in a desperate hand to hand fight

    Château d'Hougoumont is a large farmhouse situated at the bottom of an escarpment near the Nivelles road. The escarpment is where British and other allied forces faced Napoleon's Army at the Battle of Waterloo on June 18, 1815."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chilling stuff, never heard about that part of the Waterloo battle before.

    ReplyDelete